Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thing #8

RSS and blogline. Having read several articles about RSS, I have only a slim idea about them. My sense is that this is one of the tools for "consuming" information. I am not so wedded to the Internet that I have to be in constant contact with information. I have registered with Bloglines and Google, but I have yet to figure out just how to set up my own feed.

Twenty-two years ago or so, Madeleine L'Engle wrote of her distaste for the words "consumer" and "consumerism". I seek information for the joy of learning and for good tools for living; I do not feel a need for a steady feed of news and information. I do not watch television for my news and I do not listen to NPR nonstop. At my age, I am quite selective and like being able to choose carefully and deliberately.

I am already under the curse of "too many books, too little time". I am not sure I want to get into "too much information, too little time".

No comments: