Monday, December 31, 2012

Letter to Chair of the Board of Trustees

I understand that you are looking to Wheaton College as a model for the co-ed Wilson. Rather than look to the women's colleges that have gone co-ed, please look at the women's colleges that are succeeding.
 
Hollins is exemplary [www.hollins.edu]. Their motto is "Women who are going places start at Hollins." Look at their Web page entitled, "Why Hollins?"
Why does Wilson College have to fade into the oblivion of a ho-hum coed school nestled between Gettysburg, Dickinson, and Shippensburg and under the shadow of Penn State? Pennsylvania has lots of small co-ed schools.
 
Wilson is and always has been unique. Use the moneys aimed at going co-ed to make her even better for the 21st century.
 
Put the money necessary to provide male dorms and athletic facilities into our facilities for the Women with Children program, for our athletes including the gymnasts, and for the new programs needed to make her even more attractive to the women of the 21st century.
 
Please note that I have donated $1100 to Wilson in the past two months, and I am working with two high schools students to get them to Wilson. And I am just one alumna who is willing to put my money and my time into the women's college that gave me so much.
Sincerely your,
Beth Ashby Mitchell '69

No comments: