Friday, May 15, 2009

Older Generation

">Reflections on Leaving Burbank, CA, April 8, 2009

In the past week, I have had a wonderful visit with Jack, Amy, and Andy. There has been lots of time for reminiscing. On one of my walks with Jack, I was telling him a bit about my/his family, and I realized my position among the generations. With Mom and Dad’s deaths, Debi and I are now the older generation. Dad was born in 1921 and Mom was born in 1923. Their parents were born in 1896, 1898, and 1900. I do not know when my great grandparents were born. But it had to be in mid-1800s.

On further reflection, this older generation thing has lots of consequences.

I regularly find myself wanting to ask Mom and Dad questions that only they could answer. If I don't make an effort to tell more stories and record more stories, Jack's generation will not know them and will not have a way to ask about them.

Andrew made a point to ask me lots of questions about my growing up. I am his connection to the 50s and 60s, and stuff that I took for granted [and still do] is history for him.

What kind of wisdom do I want to pass on to my children and grandchildren? For I have realized that I am wise in many ways.

How can I pass my faith on to my children and grandchildren? How can I help them to understand and choose to walk in faith and love depending on our saviour Jesus Christ? Just taking them to church and Sunday School is/was not enough.

Much to pray and think about. For I am the older generation now.

No comments: